Sunday, August 3, 2008

Interfaith Conversation

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Today we had a signficant service at the Shallowford Presbyterian Church around the topic: Beyond 9/11: Christians and Muslims Together -- A New World Vision.

Around 400 people attended the worship and visioning service at Shallowford today. After the worship, we gathered in the fellowship hall to have a fine Halal dinner for Muslims and Christians. The Great Hall was nearly full as we shared fellowship around the tables. Following the lunch we took time to fill our cards with name, address, phone, and email. Then we began a conversation around remembered experiences. Here are the directions that were given:

1. Look in. Think about a time when you felt the most like you were participating in, living in, working toward a community where each person was treasured as a child of God. Be specific, how did it feel, what were your thoughts and feelings?

2. Look around. What were the things that enabled that- again specific and large and small- might be enough time and money, or first perceiving a real need – a compelling need, people, close friends or colleagues that were of a many diverse background, a safe space, coming to an understanding of something significant- I’ll never forget your statement “I realized that she worshipped the same God I did.”

3. Look forward. Now dream- dream of continuing in that movement toward Paradise. What would happen, what would it be like, who would be involved? What do you need to do it- knowledge, contacts, money, space?

A number of very helpful ideas came from the conversation around the tables.

I invite you to review the vision, make your suggestions and let's build together.
Ben Johnson

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ben,
I am so glad that this conversation has begun and I pray that it will be fruitful for all and to God's glory. I'll be eager to watch as the conversation grows and matures.
Peace, Paul

GrandmaH said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start of a movement! Praying for the Lord to protect and lead in all aspects. Blessings, Jane

Unknown said...

Ben,
with God's guidance and your leadership, Atlanta can be a model city of an interfaith community that respects and celebrates its diversity.

Unknown said...

Hello, Ben
I learned of your blog by reading a recent issue of Hungry Hearts, the periodical published by the Theology and Worship folks in the PCUSA. I'm delighted to discover a blogger who shares my passion. I write an interfaith peacemaking and Web literacy blog at www.CyberKenBlog.com. I'm concentrating on Muslim-Christian-Jewish relationships, and am working to establish a Delaware chapter of the Interfaith Youth Core (see www.ifyc.org). May I put a link to your blog in my the CyberKen blogroll? I'd appreciate a link to CyberKen from your blog too.
Peace,
Tom Davis